The idea of behaviour as communication is a concept that has been very interesting to observe in the classroom on Wednesdays during our in-class observations. In this post, I want to discuss an example that really stood out to me during an  English 11 class.

To get through the pandemic, students have a morning and afternoon class that are roughly two and half hours each, with reduced class sizes. During the class, one student near the back of the room was noticeably less engaged than their peers and could be seen showing clear signs of fatigue, yawning periodically throughout the activities. What I found really powerful was the way in which the teacher approached this behaviour. From my own high school experiences,  I can recall similar situations in which a teacher might call out a student for appearing fatigued in a rather negative way. In one case, a teacher even gathered the class around a student who had fallen asleep in a lecture, in a rather humiliating spectacle. Instead of singling out the tired student in a negative way or speaking about it openly to the class, the teacher approached the student one on one while the rest of the class worked freely on an assignment.

What was immediately admirable about this exchange was how sympathetic and understanding the teacher was. It was clear that the teacher did not feel disrespected by the behaviour and was legitimately concerned about the well-being of the student. In being addressed this way, the student’s response was forthcoming and respectful, clearly receptive to the teacher’s sympathetic approach. This led to a really healthy and respectful discussion about the student’s two jobs outside of class and the six days a week they are working! The teacher asked questions about the work and expressed her concerns in a way that was very positive and genuine.

I found this interaction particularly touching, as someone who usually feels tears welling up at the slightest emotion. The teacher handled this situation in a way that made me understand the concept of behaviour as communication in a new way. The way that the teacher interpreted that communication and chose to communicate back was inspiring. In a situation that could have been handled very differently and negatively (as I have seen from my own experience), the teacher was able to connect on a personal level and build up mutual respect with the student.

This interaction was a great example of how behaviour acts as communication and how every student brings different dynamics from their personal lives to the classroom that can affect their engagement. This interaction also showed me how a potentially negative situation can become an opportunity to build positive relationships with students outside of course material. Rather than interpreting the behaviour as boredom or disinterest, the teacher was able to gain insight on the student’s personal life that would improve the teacher’s ability to assess the student’s performance. While the result could have been different depending on the student’s response, the approach that the teacher took was inspiring.