After exploring quite a few different video editing options for my free inquiry project, Davinci Resolve 16  is the best free software that I’ve been able to find. It offers an impressive amount of features  and complexity for a free product. I watched several Youtube videos reviewing different video editing software and found this video breakdown of the different software by price and feature  to be very helpful in my research.

One of the EdTech instructors at UVIC put on video editing workshop focused on building basic skills in Davinci Resolve and IMovie. The timing on this workshop was perfect! It was very useful for getting started on my first project, which was my introductory video assignment for EDCI 352 Multiliteracies.

Part of my process for creating this video assignment was combing through all my old family VHS tapes that are beginning to deteriorate and attempting to salvage them. This involved painstakingly digitizing hours and hours of precious memories to save on the computer, as well as on hard drives for all of my immediate family to keep safe. Despite how time consuming this task was, I found some incredible footage from my childhood that I had never seen before and I learned a lot about converting VHS tapes into functioning computer files. If you’re ever tackling a similar recovery project or just want save some of your old VHS tapes, the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus  worked perfectly for me. The process of editing some of that footage and thinking about my experiences in high school was a meaningful opportunity to reflect on why I decided to pursue teaching in the first place. If you’re interested, check out the results of my project in the video below!